Ciné-Cat: Marking the City
Stop going to see films and make a film of the city!
Wednesday, March 06, 2013
Slought Foundation is pleased to announce Ciné-Cat: Marking the City, a street art project across Philadelphia beginning in March 2013.
In the film The Case of the Grinning Cat (2004), Chris Marker becomes intrigued by the sudden appearance of painted grinning yellow cats on the streets of Paris. Documentation of these images and personal commentary throughout the film are joined by discussion of political events of the time.
Join us for a public workshop at Slought on Wednesday March 6th from 6:30-8pm to make meaning of the grinning yellow cat. The workshop will begin with a brief discussion of Chris Marker's work, followed by an overview of street art practices and hands-on stenciling demonstrations. Templates and supplies will be provided in the workshop. Following the workshop, participants will be invited to add their grinning cat to Philadelphia's built landscape.
Rules for Ciné-Cat Participants
- Be creative. The templates are only guides. We encourage you to adapt the grinning cats to your individual style and medium.
- Please document your street art creations and send us your grinning cats at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All public works must be executed in adherence to the City of Philadelphia laws.
- We encourage the use of non-permanent materials, such as chalk, removable spray, washable paint, and tape when creating in public places.
- Permanent materials, such as industrial paints and aerosol sprays, may only be used on condemned structures or with formal consent of property owners.
- Slought and its affiliates are not responsible for any participant who does not adhere to these rules or the law.
- Celebrate Chris Marker!
Recommended Street Art Templates
Grinning Cats Template #1
Grinning Cats Template #2
Ciné-Cat: Marking the City is presented by Slought Foundation in conjunction with Things That Quicken the Heart—Chris Marker: A Symposium.
Organized by Rachel Heidenry.
Stop going to see films and make a film of the city!. "Ciné-Cat: Marking the City." Slought Foundation Online Content. [06 March 2013;
Accessed 25 May 2013]. <http://slought.org/content/11511/>.